My research has focused for many years on various aspects of the relationship among gender, power, and academic self-views. I have also been examining the factors related to the gender pay gap.
- Lips, H. M. (2008). Sex and gender: An introduction (6th ed.). Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Lips, H. M. (2006). A new psychology of women: Gender, culture and ethnicity (3rd ed.). Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Lips, H. M. (1991). Women, men, and power. Mountain View, CA: Mayfield. [Winner, 1992 Distinguished Publication Award, Association for Women in Psychology]
- Lips, H. M., & Keener, E. (2007). Effects of gender and dominance on leadership emergence: Incentives make a difference. Sex Roles, 56 (9/10), 563-572.
- Lips, H. M. (2004). The gender gap in possible selves: Divergence of academic self-views among high school and university students. Sex Roles, 50(5/6), 357-371.
- Lips, H. M. (2001). Envisioning position of leadership: The expectations of university students in Virginia and Puerto Rico. Journal of Social Issues, 57(4), 799-813.
- Lips, H. M. (1995). Predicting university women's participation in mathematics and science: A causal model. Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, 2(4), 193-206.
- Lips, H. M. (2000). College students’ visions of power and possibility as mediated by gender. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 24, 37-41.
- Lips, H. M. (1992). Gender and science-related attitudes as predictors of college students' academic and vocational choices. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 40, 62-81.
- Lips, H. M. (1995). Through the lens of mathematical/scientific self-schemas: Images of students' current and possible selves. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 25(19), 1671-1699.
- Lips, H. M. (2007, Summer). Gender and possible selves. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, (114), Special issue: Possible selves and adult learning: Perspectives and potential, pp. 51-59.
- Lips, H. M. (2003). The gender pay gap: Concrete indicator of women’s progress toward equality. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 3(1), 87-109.
- Lips, H. M. (2002). Female powerlessness: Still a case of “cultural preparedness”? In A. E. Hunter & C. Forden (Eds.), Readings in the psychology of gender: Exploring our differences and commonalities (pp. 19-37). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Advanced General Psychology
- Advanced Topics in Social Psychology
- Environmental Psychology
- Introduction to Women's Studies
- Introductory Psychology
- Psychology of Sex and Gender
- Psychology of Social Conflict
- Psychology of Women
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
Hilary M. Lips
Department of Psychology, Box 6946
Radford, VA 24142
- Phone: (540) 831-5387